Sunday, November 14, 2010

Field Notes From Jones Beach and Floyd Bennett Field...

Shorebirds and Gulls on the spit.
Last Thursday, I birded Jones Beach LI, in hopes of picking up the Marbled Godwit that I had dipped on in previous attempts. Well, maybe dipped is extreme. I had a look at a Marbled Godwit in the area, but it was a very distant look all the way on the other side of the channel. It was not a satisfying look for me, so I did not take the bird (Yeah, I am picky like that). Thursday, I timed it so that I would arrive at the Coast Guard Station before the tide was completely high. My thinking was I needed to get at the location before the tide completely covered the bar the Marbled Godwit normally hung out on. My strategy worked and I got great looks at the Marbled Godwit along with several other birds including 7 Royal Terns. Following Jones Beach, I headed back west to Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn, where I found 4 Cattle Egrets feeding in the fields east of the Aviator Sports Complex (they were there on Friday morning as well). This was an all time high count for me and again highlights the importance of the Floyd Bennett Grasslands to migrating birds. A check at Fort Tilden and Breezy Point did not yield much as the tide was extremely high, enveloping all of the beach front habitat normally used by winter birds like Snow Buntings. Here are some photos from the day.

Marbled Godwit with Oystercatchers.  What's that bird taking flight? 


Royal Terns -  Do you notice anything different with the Terns?  



One of the four Cattle Egrets I found at Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn NY.

Tags: , , , ,

Share with SociBook.com Bookmark and Share

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Great set of pic, Andrew

People are going crazy here, over one Cattle Egret... and you saw 4... :-)
Good shots...

Kimberley Wakelin said...

Wow! Look at all of those Oystercatchers! Awesome post & photos, Andrew!

BIRDINGDUDE said...

@MikeyBoy50 - Thanks Mikey. Cattle Egrets are not common here like our Snowy or Great Egrets. We do make a fuss when they are found, which are more often more East on Long Island. Finding 4 in Brooklyn, was quite the bonus!

BIRDINGDUDE said...

@Kimberley W - Hi Kim, thank you for the nice comment. My high count of Oystercatchers at that location was over 600 :)

Anonymous said...

Nice series, they are all great? Tern flying away and two different leg colors... same species?