Friday, November 19, 2010

Banding information on Peregrine Falcon...

If you noticed in my Peregrine Falcon photographs this week for Wordless Wednesday, there was one showing the Falcon with the following bands: Black A over Green 4.  I did some research and found out that this bird (a female), was  from a nest at the Verazanno-Narrows Bridge (The Verrazano-Narrows Bridge is a double-decked suspension bridge that connects the boroughs of Staten Island and Brooklyn in New York City) in 2004.  Apparently, she was banded on June 1st from a nest of four.  The young male that I photographed with her did not have any bands. Both birds looked very healthy and in my observation looked quite happy with each other as they played around while bathing. It was unfortunate that I could not get video capture of this moment due to unnecessary feral primate activities in the area, which eventually drove the birds off.  Here are some additional photos of the young male.

Young male Peregrine on the left and female on the right.

Young male Peregrine Falcon.

Male Peregrine Falcon.
Tags: ,

Share with SociBook.com Bookmark and Share

6 comments:

Birdinggirl said...

Great pictures! I have a peregrine falcon that I watch in Boston. It's so cool to see them up close. The bird I watch is banded but I can't get a good enough picture to actually read it. Do you have any tips on how to learn more about this bird? Like its name and history?

Shervin Hess et al said...

Hi Andrew, nice shots. Where was this?

Pat B. said...

"Unnecessary feral primate activities" is quite likely the finest phrase I've ever read... and I read a lot!

BIRDINGDUDE said...

@BirdingGirl - Hi thanks for stopping by. Hmmm...getting the band off of your bird would make it so much easier to obtain its history.

But there are other ways. First, make a note of the color of the bands, then find out who does your local banding and contact them re: the bird you are watching. You might get lucky and get the information you are trying to get.

I am going to ask my NY banding buddies about contacts in Boston. Send me an e-mail that way I could respond if I make any headway.

BIRDINGDUDE said...

@Pat B. - Hi Mom, thanks for stopping by. Only you would appreciate something like that. :)

BIRDINGDUDE said...

@Shervin - Seen in the Bronx. I saw that you guys have started work on cleaning up Rocky Point. I hope to get out there next week and put in some work.