Thursday, February 12, 2009

Looking for Barrow's Goldeneye at Jamaica Bay...

Yesterday, I went out to the Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge, looking for the Barrow's Goldeneye that was reported on the 10th. While I could not locate the Barrow's, I did see some nice looking Common Goldeneyes...both Drakes and Ducks. Also, I did pick up another first of the year in Northern Shoveler and had good looks at Pintails in the west pond and also in Pumpkin Channel. A nice surprise for me was two Ring-necked ducks that I spotted around the point of Terrapin Trail. This is the first time that I have seen Ring-necked ducks at Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge; in reviewing the bird checklist, the species, is not even listed as a winter visitor, so this was a neat find. Another nice sight was the 12-14 Red-winged Blackbirds that I noted around the West Pond trail; this is a definite indication that our early spring migrants are returning. Share with SociBook.com Bookmark and Share

No comments: