Friday, September 3, 2010

20 Species of Shorebirds from 3 sites...

Birders love a storm, so it was no surprise that many of my friends were texting and calling with reports of their "storm birding".  My birding, was limited today, as I got out in the field rather late.  As a result, I was not able to hit those spots out east that I would have liked. Nevertheless, I managed 20 species of shorebirds from birding at Floyd Bennett Field, Fort Tilden and Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge.  Take that LI birders :)  For me, my best bird of the day was the Western Sandpiper that I found at Floyd Bennett Field.  This bird was in the company of White-rumped Sandpipers, which were also another surprise.  Here is my report:

Floyd Bennett Field

1. Semipalmated Plover
2. Killdeer - Charadrius vociferus
3. Semipalmated Sandpiper
4. WESTERN SANDPIPER
5. Least Sandpiper
6. White-rumped Sandpiper
7. BAIRD'S SANDPIPER
8. BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER
    Fort Tilden
    9. Sanderling
    10. Ruddy Turnstone
    11. Western Willet
    Semipalmated Sandpiper
    Killdeer
    Black-bellied Plover
    12. PURPLE SANDPIPER

    Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge East and West Ponds
    Black-bellied Plover
    Semipalmated Plover
    Killdeer
    13. American Oystercatcher
    14. Spotted Sandpiper
    15. Greater Yellowlegs
    16. Lesser Yellowlegs
    Semipalmated Sandpiper
    Western Sandpiper
    Least Sandpiper
    White-rumped Sandpiper
    BAIRD'S SANDPIPER
    17. Stilt Sandpiper
    18. Short-billed Dowitcher
    19. LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER
    20. WILSON'S PHALAROPE


    White-rumped and Western Sandpiper at Floyd Bennett Field.


    Western Sandpiper at Floyd Bennett Field.

    Tags: , , , ,

    Share with SociBook.com Bookmark and Share

    No comments: