Thursday, September 5, 2013

Jamaica Bay Shorebird update from the East Pond...

Despite the focus on the warbler migration, I have not yet given up on shorebirding at Jamaica Bay in Queens NY.  Today, I did some birding on the East Pond and I was disappointed at the lack of volume of birds. However, I was happy to look at what was there and in doing so managed to find some variety.

I was especially pleased to find my 1st Western Sandpiper in about a month. This one looks like a juvenile but not as gray as some of the 'fresh juveniles" I have seen in the past



In addition, I also saw several White-rumped Sandpipers and one in a plumage that I don't often see on the East Pond, much less able to get photo documentation.  It looks like a bird that has already seen some molting occurring.  Arguably a non breeding bird??


A juvenile Eastern Willet and 2 Solitary Sandpipers at Big John's Pond added to the diversity.  Another interesting bird was an "oiled" Semipalmated Sandpiper that had this interesting look to its face.  I tried hard but could not find any Baird's or Buff-breasted Sandpipers on the pond. 

Bizarrely, I did not find any Black-belied Plover by the time I got to the North Island and usually I would find a few even if it was during the dropping tide.  So, it appears that birds pulled out last night and I could only hope that a new group arrives with tonight's wind.  Keep checking for shorebirding updates!

Tags: , , , , Share with SociBook.com Bookmark and Share

No comments: