Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Pink-footed Goose in Queens NY...

Late this afternoon while on a quest to find Cackling Goose in Queens, I found a Pink-footed Goose (Anser brachyrhynchus) in an area known by some as the LIE/CIP Interchange or Alley Restoration. I have provided a map (see below) to illustrate the location. The area is just off Douglaston Parkway and West Alley Road. Note that Horace Harding Expressway runs into West Alley Road, so be aware of that. Your best bet is to park near 66th Avenue off of Douglaston Parkway and cross the street heading North, just past the bus station (I forgot what bus was listed) look on your left down into the gully and there is the water source with waterfowl.

Quite a number of Canada Geese departed before I left this evening, but the Pink-footed Goose (Anser brachyrhynchus) stayed (at least until the light was gone) and my bet is that it will likely overnight at the location. Please Note: The vegetation and layout is not suited for high traffic, so I caution folks going to chase this bird to please refrain from trampling around the edge destroying the vegetation. I have provided some photos below.  Too bad Eric Miller could not have joined me this afternoon as I would have liked to have shared this bird with him since he was the one who showed me this location.


View Alley Restoration in a larger map





Tags: ,

Share with SociBook.com Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

Laurence Butler said...

That's awesome man way to go! There's no better kind of diligence than that spent studying the birds.

Anonymous said...

Very cool!