Saturday, October 17, 2009

Rufous Hummingbird - A Possible Record First for Staten Island NY...


On Sunday, while I was out birding at Fire Island NY, I got a text message about a possible Rufous Hummingbird in Staten Island. The name of the person who reported the bird seemed familiar, but I did not make the connection until I picked up a voice message from my friend Howard Fischer on Monday night. It was Howie that had seen the bird, which was now making consistent appearances in his backyard. I called Howie and spoke to him about the bird. There was no way I was not going to try for the bird – especially since it showed up in a friend’s yard and he even called to remind me of it. On Wednesday, I finally made it over to Howie and got great looks at "Teddy" the Rufous Hummingbird. The bird was aptly named "Teddy" after Howie’s, Aunt Theodore who was on the phone with Howie when he first glimpsed the bird. I believe this might be a record first for Staten Island and it could not have happened to a nicer person than Howard Fischer, who is a fantastic birder and has welcomed all who wanted to see the bird.




Tags: , ,

Share with SociBook.com Bookmark and Share

7 comments:

Jason Kessler said...

I hope Teddy was in the air and continuing his journey to Mexico before last night's rain kicked in.

Suzi said...

Thank you so so much for sharing Teddy. Amazing!

Shai said...

Nice bird! He was still there this morning (19 Oct). These guys are tougher than you might expect, and it seems they are colonizing suburban gardens in southeastern North America as a preferred wintering area. Is Staten Island part of southeastern NA? We shall see!

Larry Jordan said...

Super cool Andrew! I love seeing the Rufous Hummers when they come through here in California. They take control of the feeders, and the colors, wow.

Nice that you have a friend that lets all the locals come over to see the bird. I just had the pleasure of seeing my first White-throated Sparrow, courtesy of my friend Debby who had one visiting her feeders. I will be posting photos soon.

CarolNH said...

Great photos...TFS!!!

Carol in NH

CarolNH said...

Great photos...TFS!!!

Carol

Anonymous said...

It's not the first! That's why we need to stop chopping down all the trees and fields and pouring concrete. Too much...