Sunday, January 18, 2009

Birding Floyd Bennett Field...

Nothing like back to back birding. Following yesterday's walk at Pelham Bay Park, I decided to venture out to Floyd Bennett Field to see if I could find any Snow Buntings or the Eastern Meadowlarks that I had a glimpse of when I was out with Ron Bourque. My first stop was around the cricket field, where I got Canada Geese, Brandts, Snow Geese, American Tree Sparrows, Song Sparrows, Yellow-rumped Warblers, Juvenile White-crowned Sparrow and White-throated Sparrows. While there was no sign of Horned Larks or Snow buntings on the field, there were several fly overs of Snow Buntings, that I tried to wish onto the field, but after a few teasing loops, they continued on towards Dead Horse Bay. After about an hour, I headed out to the abandoned runways to see if there was any action there and to check out the adjoining grassland area. The abandoned runway was treacherous with sheets of ice covered by the fresh powdered snow, making walking a tad hairy. Nevertheless, I pushed on and was rewarded when I saw movement in the grassland area. Since I had the scope with me, I patiently scanned the field and found the Eastern Meadow Larks that had eluded my search just a week ago. I had good looks, but had to constantly track the ever moving birds as they foraged for food. I spent a good hour or so there and then headed on towards Raptor Point to scan the water for water fowl. My stop there was short as there was not much happening; I did get Common Loon, Red-throated Loon, Bufflehead and Red-breasted Mergansers. Species seen throughout the day totaled 21...well make it 22 as I spotted an American Kestrel over by Erskine exit while on my way home. Share with SociBook.com Bookmark and Share

No comments: