Saturday, August 30, 2008

Today in the backyard...

The Goldfinches are still here along with the Veery, Warbling Vireo, Warbling Vireo, Alder or Willow Flycatcher, and the Ruby Throated Hummingbird.   These visitors, coupled with the usual species makes it good birding for a small backyard in Queens.  Here are some pictures.

This afternoon around 2:46 PM, I looked out into the backyard and saw a Yellow-Billed Cuckoo on the flowering dogwood (Cornus Florida). I quickly grabbed my camera and was able to capture the bird just as it was taking off.


Alder or Willow Flycatcher...very tough to call.


I think this is a Warbling Vireo.


A Veery, member of the Thrush family.


Veery looking for berries.


Yellow-Billed Cuckoo on the Flowering Dogwood.
Share with SociBook.com Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice collection for an urban backyard. I'm particularly surprised by the Cuckoo. Cool.