Thursday, January 29, 2009

Misses and hits...

We have entered the time of Winter where landing double digits in species count on a day out in the field has become tougher. The last few bird outings were not successful at all...either in chasing down a lifer or picking up species for my year list. For example, last weekend, I went out to Floyd Bennett for the Black-headed Gull and then to Fort Tilden for Crossbills and came up empty on both. Not to be dissuaded, I tried for the Crossbills at the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens and came up short there as well.

Despite the setbacks I remained positive and enjoyed those species that I saw with the perspective that there is always another day. The good news is, that with misses there are hits and one such hit was, I landed my first Eastern Bluebird of the year in Teatown NY. The next hit or hits was the result of a remarkable day out at Jones Beach, birding with some two of from the crew regarded as "The Jones Beach Boys", Joe Guinta and Sy SchiffI had a good time birding with them and while I did not land the Crossbills (yet again), I picked up a Snowy Owl and Eared Grebe...both lifers. In addition, I was able to add 9 birds to my 2009 list and made up some ground on Joe and Sy who have already broken the century mark for the year.

Share with Bookmark and Share


Anonymous said...

Snowy Owl! Need I say more.


The Snowy Owl was indeed special!