Thursday, May 7, 2009

Wilson's Snipe and others at Big Egg Marsh Queens NY...

After seeing the new spring arrivals in the backyard (see my "Backyard Birding News" post earlier today), I decided to visit one of the sites that I am covering for the IWASH (which stands for Improving Wetland Accessibility for Shorebirds and Horseshoe crabs.) research. Today, I went to Big Egg Marsh, in Jamaica Bay Queens. I got there late...around 12:15 PM and birded for an hour or so. In that time, I picked up Lesser Yellowlegs, Greater Yellowlegs, Willets, Semipalmated Sandpipers, Savannah Sparrow, Glossy Ibis, Brandt, Laughing Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, Red winged Blackbird and a Wilson's Snipe, which was the highlight. With the obvious movement of birds coming in, it bodes well for the Big Birding Event that will be taking place this weekend. Share with SociBook.com Bookmark and Share

No comments: