Friday, August 2, 2013

Those Westerners can be tough and I don't mean Josey Wales...

So I am a fan of Clint Eastwood movies...aren't you? Whats not to like when you deliver killer lines like this one, "ever notice how sometimes you come across somebody you shouldn't have #^*#ed with?" Well, I'm that guy".  But I digress. A lot of birders have been searching the peeps on the East Pond at Jamaica Bay Wildife Refuge in Queens NY, for Western Sandpipers. They are tough, especially when you have to sift through thousands of Semipalmated Sandpipers but if you are careful and patient, you may end up lucky like I did in finding a few.

In fact, I have seen more Western Sandpipers this season than I have seen White-rumped Sandpipers. To quote my naturalist friend Rich kelly, "What's up with that"? Here are a few that were not too hard to pick out. I have photos of a few that were just soooo tough, but I will leave them for another post. Oh and look out for those big billed Semipalmated Sandpipers, there are plenty of them around at the moment and they try their very best into tricking you into thinking Western.

Two Western Sandpipers together or is there a third in the background? :)

After sifting through well over a thousand peeps, I finally connected with a Western.
Tags: , , , ,

Share with SociBook.com Bookmark and Share

No comments: