Friday, February 15, 2013

Certification of Appreciation for reporting Banded Herring Gull...

I like to share my banded birds information in the hopes of encouraging others to report any birds they see with a band. Reporting banded birds provides valuable scientific information as researchers use the sighting to map out the traveling/migration patterns of a banded subject. Here is some information I recently received on a banded Herring Gull, that I photographed at Heckscher State Park on Long Island back in August 2012. You may report a banded bird to Patuxent Wildlife Research Center Bird Banding Laboratory.


Share with SociBook.com Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

Jeff Kraus said...

Many thanks for the Patunxet link. I spotted a Canada Goose with neck collar right outside the Roosevelt Nature Center at Jones Beach, and the rangers didn't know how to report it. I tried online but your link did the trick, and I got my certificate within days! The goose was tagged last July in Quebec and is a 1-2 year old female. It was grazing in a flock of 20, including the odd Brant. Thank you for the link!

Jeff K said...

Thanks for the link to Patuxent! I tried to find a way to report a tagged bird but to no avail. I just got my certificate of appreciation for the neck-collared Canada Goose I saw a couple of weeks ago at Jones Beach. It's a 1-2 year old female, collared last August in Quebec. I'm sure the researcher is glad to know she's alive and well in (well, near) the Big Apple. All the best, Jeff