Friday, December 7, 2012

LBJ and I don't mean Lyndon B. Johnson...

Those LBJ's aka "little brown jobs" a term used synonymously to describe those tough brown passerines or more likely SPARROWS.  A conversation I had recently with my friend Eric Miller reminded me about an LBJ that I tried for in Arizona

My friend Jeff and I had spent over an hour in the blazing sun looking and Jeff was on the verge of giving up, but I was a stubborn SOB not wanting to leave.  I mean it was an LBJ and the challenge of finding the "target" bird had me all pumped up.  There was no way I was going to leave!  Poor Jeff, he was going to have to drag me away kicking and screaming and I did not think he was keen on doing that.  Of course since he was the pilot, he could have easily driven off in frustration, but he is too much of a nice guy to contemplate that, at least I comforted myself that he wouldn't.

Finally, I suggested that Jeff stay in the car and I decided to walk, for two reasons.  One, I did not want to hear another word from Jeff about leaving and second, I wanted to listen for this bird.  It was the listening that did it and I found the bird (s) after walking about a mile up a cattle trail.  Of course after getting Jeff on the bird it was all good and the world was in balance again.  Knowing that it was in Arizona, can you guess which Sparrow it was?


Tags: , , Share with SociBook.com Bookmark and Share

5 comments:

Moctar said...

Going for a long shot and guessing Botteri's Sparrow : )

Anonymous said...

Botteri's

BIRDINGDUDE said...

Ah good, there are some submissions. Botteri's was a target that was achieved but this one was not as easy and I believe that this was Jeff's 1st in this his third or 4th trip to AZ.

Anonymous said...

Cassin's?

BIRDINGDUDE said...

Yep Cassin's is correct. A tough one, but we got it!