Monday, October 1, 2012

White-faced Ibis at Jamaica Bay Queens County...

The White-faced Ibis I found yesterday on the South End of the East Pond at Jamaica Bay was difficult to photograph because of the distance. It was important for documentation purposes to get a photo showing the red iris and facial skin. While I have more photos to look at, this one shows the red iris and red facial skin, which is diagnostic in all plumages but juveniles. I will post more as I get to them.


I was able to capture some video footage of the White-faced Ibis, which I have posted below. It is a good opportunity to review what to look for when trying to find this species this late in the season. I hope it helps!



Tags: , Share with SociBook.com Bookmark and Share

4 comments:

Welsh Birder Abroad said...

Nicely done. It pays to look at everything ...

Julie G. said...

The video and photograph definitely assist in identifying the White-faced Ibis. Very cool! Great documentation.

BIRDINGDUDE said...

Thanks Anthony, trying to be like you :)

BIRDINGDUDE said...

Hi Julie, you know how I love to study the behavior of birds and so it was nice to be able to share this although the video was shot at a fair distance. I am glad you like it.