Sunday, May 31, 2009

Forest Park, Jamaica Wildlife Refuge and Big Egg Marsh...

Sticking to my local birding sites; today, I started the day by birding Forest Park. My first visit was at Stracker Pond around 7:50 am, where I picked up about 10 species including a very cooperative Green Heron. I spent a little longer there than expected, as I met a group that was on an Audubon/Urban Park Rangers bird walk. I stuck around and helped out a bit in pointing out a few birds and sharing views in my scope. After about an hour, the group left heading to the Water Hole another bird spot in the park; since the Waterhole, was in the plans for the day, I headed out there myself on my own. The Waterhole was very quiet, which I kind of expected. Activity around the water hole is dependent on water and with the hole pretty dried up there was not much happening. To help the water situation, many local birders have been carrying water in various containers and filling up a garbage pail cover, as well as a dripper. That works, but it does not bring in the numbers that a good rainfall would accomplish in filling the hole with water. Nevertheless, I picked up a few more species including a Northern Parula. I then headed out to Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge. I was not keen on walking the trail because it was getting towards noon and I usually like to have covered that area much earlier. However, once there I continued on and found several additional species. My last stop was Big Egg Marsh and I did not do a good job calculating the tide as I hit the spot when the tide was receding and that was not good in terms of being able to see birds closer to the shore. It was not a bad day, and even though I did not bird the gardens nor the East Pond at JBWR, I still ended up with a total of 56 species.

Tags: , , , ,

  1. American Crow
  2. American Robin
  3. Baltimore Oriole
  4. Black-belied Plover
  5. Black-crowned Night Heron
  6. Boat-tailed Grackle
  7. Brandt
  8. Brown Thrasher
  9. Canada Goose
  10. Cedar Waxwing
  11. Chimney Swift
  12. Clapper Rail (Heard)
  13. Common Grackle
  14. Common Loon (fly over)
  15. Common Tern
  16. Common Yellow-throat
  17. Cowbird
  18. Double Crested Cormorant
  19. Downy Woodpecker
  20. Dunlin
  21. European Starling
  22. Forster's Tern
  23. Glossy Ibis
  24. Gray Catbird
  25. Great Egret
  26. Greater Black-backed Gull
  27. Greater Yellow Legs
  28. Green Heron
  29. Herring Gull
  30. House Sparrow
  31. House Wren
  32. Killdeer
  33. Laughing Gull
  34. Little-blue Heron
  35. Long-billed Dowitcher
  36. Mallard
  37. Mourning Dove
  38. Mute Sawn
  39. Northern Mockingbird
  40. Northern Parula
  41. Northern Shoveler
  42. Osprey
  43. Oystercatcher
  44. Red Knot
  45. Red-bellied Woodpecker
  46. Red-winged Blackbird
  47. Rudy Turnstone
  48. Semipalmated Plover
  49. Semipalmated Sandpiper
  50. Snowy Egret
  51. Song Sparrow
  52. Tree Swallow
  53. White-rumped Sandpiper
  54. Willet
  55. Yellow Warbler
  56. Yellow-crowned Night Heron
Share with SociBook.com Bookmark and Share

No comments: